Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Bottom 5

When the honeymoon is over you realize that there ARE actually things that really bother you.
I decided to make a short list of most annoying situations I have had to deal with on a everyday basis.

1. Garbage and littering. The amount of thrash left by people on the street is incredible. It's amazing how society here is used to that behavior. Littering has grown so deep into the culture that has lost its pejorative aspect. People litter with no shame!

2. Frequent lack of power or water. For some unknown reason, every once in the while every part of the city is out of power for an hour or two. I was trying to find out why, but none of my Venezuelan friends came up with reasonable answer. Around a week ago the whole city was out of water for about 3 days. Again nobody knew nothing about what happened and how long it would last. Officials didn't release any statement or communicate, schools were suspended...and I was totally surprised seeing nearby car wash working full time (so called - Venezuelan paradox).

3. Protests. Almost every week there are protests that paralyze major parts of the city. Protests usually organized by students, or even high school kids, include tire burning and some kind of manifestation. Protests are so frequent that nobody really cares anymore who and why is protesting. Last week I witnessed a protest organized by local professional soccer team for not getting paid!

4. Jail-like housing. Merida is known to be one of the safest places in Venezuela with relatively low crime rate. Despite that, every house look like a fortress, with tall walls around finished with high voltage electricity lines or sometimes razor-sharp edged glass. It is also very unusual to see windows with no solid bars on them making the view complete. It took me some time to learn my 6 keys I need in order to get in the front door.

5. Customer service or I would rather say the lack of customer service. As a customer in Venezuela you need to have lots of patience. Sometimes buying simple soda or coffee in the local grocery store can be a real challenge here. Overall relationship between businesses or public administration and client is from those "let's make our life more difficult"... I am still trying to find the reason why they need my passport at the local Laundromat every time I wash my pants.

1 comment:

  1. Venezuela's primary source of electricity comes from hydroelectric dams. The increase in water and electricity consumption throughout the country coupled with periodical droughts have led to the rationning of electricity and water. Alternative sources of power are being implemented but the transition is never without hiccups..!

    ReplyDelete